Of all cuisines, I believe, Italian food is most loved by billions from around the world, and I am no different either. Every time I think of a proper dinner, the first thing that crosses my mind is ‘Italian’. In my opinion, Risotto is the best of the lot just because of its base ingredient (Italian rice) and creamy texture.
Likewise, rice is the most common base for majority of south Indian cuisine, perhaps that’s why I fancy Risotto more than any other Italian food-varieties. I was cooking Lentil rice the other day, that’s when I thought why not try the same combination for Risotto as well, rather than cooking with the usual veggies. I knew it would be a unique flavour if it turned out well, luckily it did 😊. Ever since I have been wanting to share this recipe with you all. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Preparation time : 25 to 30 mins
Serves: 2 to 3
- 2tbsp Oliver oil
- 1tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 1tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 sprig of fresh basil leaves
- Parsley leaves
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 cup Risotto rice
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- Splash of white wine
- 1 cup of chicken stock (I made it on my own, you can use ready made)
- Parmesan, grated (as per your taste)
- a pinch of sea salt
1. Place a saucepan on a medium heat and drizzle some olive oil and butter. Add in garlic, red chilli flakes, bay leaves, onion and rosemary leaves and saute for a minute.
2. Now pop in the Risotto rice and lentils and give it a stir until the rice gets lightly transculant. Next, add a splash of white wine and cook for a few minutes.
3. Now add in the chicken stock, a good pinch of sea salt and 2 cups of water, cook on a medium flame for first 7 to 8 minutes and on a low flame for next 8 to 10 minutes. Occasionally, stir all the way through so that it won’t scorch at the bottom.
4. Check if the rice is cooked. once it’s done, turn off the heat, add parmesan and give it a gentle mix. Garnish with few fresh parsley and basil leaves. Place a lid on the pan and allow it to sit for 2 minutes to get the perfect creamy texture.
5. Yummy Risotto is ready to serve. Serve as soon as possible. Enjoy it with white wine.